Forum home Talkback

conflicting info.

LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,875

Its no wonder new people to gardening are unsure what to do?

I have bought some cucumber seeds for greenhouse growing, this is what I have read for exactly the same seed:

Mr Fotheringill......sow seeds on their edge....pinch out tops when they have 4 sets of leaves.......leave the males on to pollinate they need these to make cucumbers.

Thomson and Morgan......sow seeds on their sides....pinch out tops when they reach 6ft......take off male flowers or they will be bitter.

Two top companies, both opposite conflicting cultivating.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,394

Are they both the same variety of cuke?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

90% of the time I forget what it says on the packets and just eat what grows. image I read the other day I was supposed to pinch out marrows and pumpkins, never did and had loads of huge ones grow. The plants did take over a small area of the garden though.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,958

Lyn, one of our loveliest forum members sent me some Cerinthe seeds and some sites say soak overnight and some don't. Trial and error , so I'll try half and half.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,875

exactly the same seeds Dove, little greenhouse ones cant think off hand.

Hosta, flattery will get you everywhere! No need to soak Cerinthe, they are very tough, they self seed as well. You cant inagine the amount of bees they attract, thousands.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,958

Lyn, it should have read .... Lyn. One of our loveliest......

I'm sure the flattery was deeply Freudian. xx

Devon.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Lyn I've grown lunch box sized cumbers for the last few years and haven't been instructed to remove male flowers. I haven't had to do that with any of the F1 hybrids. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,875

You've spoilt it now Hosta image I did know what you you meant, just being silly.

KEF , info like that it is very difficult for gardeners just starting out isnt it?

My dad always took off males he said they could make the cucumbers bitter.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Lyn, I can remember when my dad used to vigilantly remove male flowers to prevent pollination and then bitterness, I think they were Telegraph now they do a F1 Telegraph that you don't have to remove males.  

I've had a look in my book image and the lunch box ones I've grown recently have been Cucino F1  and Emilie F1  both were very tasty and didn't need any faffing with!  

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Hi Lyn .I too have found this specially with cucembers I've also read from the packets that you cannot grow the F1s with the others which have male flowers in a greenhouse. I then read the opposite!   

I think it's all experiment,image and cross fingersimage