Forum home Talkback

seeds

well its seed time and have planted some cosmos marigolds and nasturtiums the latter are very large seeds I have no problem growing them but the other two have grown about an inch or two with 2 leaves on and now individually potted them on, they are inside right now so what do I do next do they stay inside or do I put them in my plastic greenhouse outside yet as last year most of them just wilted away. and also growing some verbascum  my there tiny.. how to you I transfer those little things HELP thanks

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,231

Hi beebs, it a bit early for growing cosmos - marigolds - nasturtiums, Mid march - late for the marigold  would be ideal and around April for nasturtiums - cosmos, your seedling might become a bit leggy with early sowing. Leave them in the house until all signs of frost is gone unless you got a little heater for your GH. 

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Yes they will become very leggy if kept inside, still too early for planting annual seeds unless you have a frost free greenhouse to keep them in.

• beebsbeebs Posts: 7

oops! thanks for that, I'll see how they go and can always start again later I just read the back of the seed packet but will get know how from you all instead from now on .. quite like this site x

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Often the packets of seeds give the earliest possible dates for sowing, and they do often specify indoors.  For those of us who live north, very far north, of the Watford Gap, later is better than earlier!  You may have to start again as it is likely to be a while before they can go out - but keep pinching out the tips to make sturdy bushy plants and you may be lucky.  Much depends on where you are in the country, and the weather to come - plenty of space for winter yet.