Hedgehog or rats

• May be mice

• bazabaza Posts: 602

As for the trapping i'll do the right thing and get advice off the allotment committee of what to do if it is rats.

Hope this eases everyones minds.

Thanks

Baz

• I agree they def look like mice poo! Good luck
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,125

Edds second picture is mice poo, baza described rats poo. best not to use an humane trap, there is only one way to dispose and its not nice.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,371

Iv had dealings with both when I kept fowl...The last two pictures look like mice droppings, the top picture with poo on the grass could be rat droppings, They  look a bit rougher than the mice poo but it depends on what they are getting to eat and for how long.   There are two ways to deal with Rats, one is poison the other is to shoot them.  Mice you can deal with with a constant supply of poison.

If this makes you uncomfortable then be prepared to be over run by them.......and they will, make no mistake and make your life a misery.  

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

It can be hard to distinguish mammal poops.

There are a couple of ways you could find out though without trapping. One is to set-up trail camera and see if you can photograph the culprit. (worth it if you have other uses for a trail camera, not really worth the expense if it is a one-off unless you can borrow one). 

The other is to use a sand bed. If you can put out a shallow tray with some sand in right where you saw the poop, you might get some footprints (a tray full of wet clay soil works just as well). It is easier to tell the difference between a hedgehog and a rat by the footprints. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117

Hedgehogs tend to poop when they're feeding and as they wander aroud so you usually only find one dropping at a time.

Rats' droppings tend to be in accumulations.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• When I had rats their droppings were oval, smooth and quite shiny, like dark grains of wheat in size. mouse droppings are similar but smaller. I am hoping I have a hedgehog around as I occasionally find some droppings which do not look similar. Much darker, rougher in texture, slightly larger in size. Someone suggested it might be from a weasel or stoat.

If what dove from above says is true it must be rats as there is quite a lot of droppings and it's in one place

I'll keep you posted

baz

Hello Everyone

Here is a couple of photos of the droppings . What does everyone think

They are just over an inch long