Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Lavender and wallflower pot display

What size pot?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,478

You're right, it doesn't say does it? 

My guess is that you need a pot about the same size as the one I've got a fig tree in, which is 20" x 20" x 20"

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BiljeBilje Posts: 712
    My Perennial wallflower Bowles Purple is in the border, it's two years old and is easily 2feet wide, the plants mentioned in the article are quite substantial when all grown up so I'd suggest as large a pot as you can manage. I like the sound of that combination I might give it a go myself.
  • I was just looking at my erysymum Bowles mauve - it's all straggly but still got flowers.   Should I cut it back now or wait a while?  

About that article, there seemed a lot of plants and the picture didn't show the whole pot.   It seemed too many plants to me for a container.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 712
    I live in the NE and although mine were still flowering, it never stops, I've just cut the stems back to tidy it up. I find the plants last about 3 years before getting too straggly. I take cuttings in the summer they root very easily.

I think the planter would only work in a half barrel.
  • I'll do it this week I think.  Start to tidy up.   I'll take cuttings this year.  

• WillsWills Posts: 262

Verdun you know more than you let on image have you grown sweet pea i think it is sweet & spice for hanging basket. it is a dwarf variety and is supposed to be perfect for them .

• WillsWills Posts: 262

cheers i havent seen this variety of sweet pea before and want to grow them in my hanging baskets i know David K grows sweet peas i will have a chat with him .image