Forum home Talkback

buddelia

I have one of these in a pot in the back garden. Had a look at it earlier and it's definitely alive. Thinking of planting it out in the garden,how tall does anyone think it will get?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,627

Left alone a buddleia turns into a small tree. So don't leave it alone, cut it back to a low framework every spring

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

Most buddleias grow quite tall, mine go to about 8-10 feet.  However if you had it in a pot maybe you bought a dwarf variety?  That would probably grow to around 5 feet in the garden.  They are all extremely easy to look after. Now would be the time to start its Spring pruning, the harder the better.  I cut mine down to almost ground level and they can grow 10 feet in a season.  The main thing is to prune (nothing fancy just chop it off) otherwise the flowers later in the year will be minimal and the butterflies will sulk!  The new growth will be soft and its this that the flowers emerge from.  When flowers fade, snip them off as this encourages more to come.  If you do this regularly say once a week, your shrub will flower until the frost.  Fantastic value.

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    Many thanks. As it's alive in its pot now is there any reason why i can't transplant it now? That said,its in a sheltered corner at the moment
  • Do you know what type it is? Some only grow to a metre whereas others can grow to 5+
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,627

Yes plant it now Janet. If it's pot bound loosen the roots a bit

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    Thankyou. No idea what sort it is. Many years ago someone i knew was putting car standing space over what was their garden. The lady gave it me,i put it in a pot and it's sat there since. Hopefully I'll get to plant it out tomorrow,fingers crossed ! Whatever happens it didn't get concreted over!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,834

I planted a Buddelia Lochinch 2 years ago which I need to be  6-9 ft tall for screening purposes so have been hesitating to give it a hard prune this year. It's now about 4-5ft - should I be brave and just do it?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,229

Lochinch can be hard pruned down to a foot or so. It will grow six foot next summer.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,834

If I pruned it by half fidgetbones, do you think it would then grow a bit taller and still have flowers?