Hedgehog or rats

Hello Everyone

Might have a hedgehog under my shed or might have rats there is droppings on the ground at the side of the shed but don't know if they are from a hedgehog or rats.The droppings are just under an inch long and skinny ish

Any ideas

Thanks

Baz

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They look very similar which is unfortunate for you. Set a trap, humane or otherwise baited with chocolate, rats and mice love it, that will confirm it. I suspect rats myself it's still a bit cold for hedgehogs to be out  of hibernation.  

• bazabaza Posts: 606

Thanks Dave i'll set a trap and let you know

Edd the bottom photo with the coin is that rat poo cos if it is the droppings outside my shed look a bit more like the top photo
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Edd, sorry, but that looks a bit small for rat poo; or maybe they are baby rats.

If anybody catches a rat in a trap and they don't intend to kill it, what are they going to do with it next??
  • Could you post a picture of the droppings?

im not mad, but have a number of hedgehogs in the garden and the poo varies a lot!

•  Dave Morgan - WHAT??? It could be a hedgehog yet your suggesting a trap thats humane OR OTHERWISE???

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415
    What conversations we get into on here haha.

Rat poo is neat and tidy looks like half inch long cylindrical seeds,.

The top picture that Edd posted looks just like our hedgehog poo, maybe inch half long.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,039
    Welshonion wrote (see)
    Edd, sorry, but that looks a bit small for rat poo; or maybe they are baby rats.

If anybody catches a rat in a trap and they don't intend to kill it, what are they going to do with it next??

As I understand it, trapped vermin can't be released elsewhere and it's also against the law to mistreat (eg starve) it, so that's a blummin' good question! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

He He Bilje ya right there started an interesting thread here,

Anyway i'll take a photo of mysterious poop and post here on sunday then we'll see what everyone thinks

• We had rats in the cavity walls in our house they came in throu a drain that had not been capped,when the house was extended by the previous owners. It was absolutely dreadfull they got under the floorboards in my daughters bedroom, in the loft,in the walls by our stairs it was a nightmare ..

The rat poo that we saw when we lifted the floorboards up looked abit like the top photo