Forum home Talkback

Nest Box Camera

i am thinking of getting OH a nest box camera as an anniversary present.  does anyone have any advice?  Has anyone bought one?  Are they easy to fit?  Are the results any good, assuming that some birds chose to nest where the camera is, of which there are no guarantees of course.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,695

Hello Ashdale, what a lovely present. We have one nestbox with a camera. We bought it from the RSPB and it came as a kit with a nestbox with the camera already fitted. It was very expensive but saved us the effort of trying to fit it ourselves. The quality was very good. The nestbox has two small opaque windows in the sides. I think that is to help the colour camera work, otherwise it would all be in black and white.

I am a total dunderhead when it comes to anything to do with computers and I would never have been able to link the camera up to anything to make it work. Fortunately, my OH has a clue and he connected it to a video recorder and a TV screen. So we can watch the activity live and record it at the same time. The nestbox kit does not include anything relating to this part of the job so you will need to be, or find, someone who can understand that.

Last year was our first year and we found a couple of bluetits moved in quite quickly. They were clearly novices (I didn't know that they live for several years and gain experience) and they weren't too lucky. They lost five of their six hatchlings through incompetence. It is both delightful and heartrending to watch them. One youngster survived to fledge. I would recommend your installling a camera, but be prepared for a rollercoaster of emotions.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Thanks for the advice, Pansyface.  I am really tempted to get one.  I will have a look at the RSPB site.  I don't know if OH and me have the techie expertise between us but I'm sure we can find some help if need be.  Lovely that you got some nesting birds in your first year, even if was a little harrowing!

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I was given a wireless one as a retirement present and was thrilled but it was impossible to use as the signal from the camera was too weak to even go through glass never mind a brick wall. Birds moved in anyway but we didn't see them. When we moved house we left it behind and bought a much better one - not wireless this time - so we have put it on the house wall and run the cable in through the window. We did have trouble finding the right kind of cable to link it to a laptop but we happened to have an old tv and it works fine when plugged into the aux sockets on there. 

I think it's a great idea for an anniversary present. Lucky OH image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,248

We fitted a black and white cctv camera(less than £10) in a box a few years back. The blue tits reared a brood and we watched it on the telly. I thought it was interesting. I think it would be very good if you had kids.

I'm thinking of a trailcam to see what we get in the dark.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Nice pressie, but don't be disappointed if and when your feathered friends don't use the camera box, but an adjacent one instead. Suppose the only solution is only have the one box in your garden, but they have a choice of 6 here, even then some years, none are used.

Pays your money, takes your chances. Good luck  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,695

I read somewhere that putting a couple of small, dry leaves (hawthorn size) into the box encourages the birds to use it. We chose leaves that were too big and the poor birds wasted hours trying to evict them. In the end, we had to open the box up and remove the leaves for them. They began nesting later that day.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,906

I have this Ad at the top of my screen at the moment, looks good and seems simple enough to fix up. I have never had one but it looks a lovely thing to do. 

http://www.gardenessentials.co.uk/product/camera-nest-box 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.