Forum home Plants

Looking for ideas

Hope this is the right place, I wasn't quite sure where would be best! I am looking to create a double layered border and I am looking for tall plants to go at the back. What are your favourites that you would turn to, to place there?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,872

Good choice from Verdun as always. I would add tall Michaelmas daisies for late season colour, especially aster novae-angliae which are more resistant to mildew and phlox paniculata which flower in high summer.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,484

All these are good suggestions. I would try to mix stuff that have different times when they are at their best. It is easy to get a border where everything is in flower at once, and then there is nothing.

Flowering times are easy to look up.

Good luck, planning a border is one of the great pleasures of gardening.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,074

Fennel, especially the purple type and cardoons.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'd include all of the above but I'd also add some tall dahlias to give a long lasting flower season right up until the first frosts.

Posy, I gave up on fennel, in my last garden it became a nuisance self seeding everywhere and the tap root was a s*d to get out if you left them too late.

Devon.
  • Many thanks all image

I am on a phone so am struggling to see the posts properly to give a proper reply. I have pen and paper next to me writing ideas down!

I found myself inundated already and was struggling to decide.

The garden is a fairly blank canvas and I have planned what layout i would like but am now struggling with actual decisions.

I am thinking approx 5 for high - looking for variety in flowering times. Wasn't sure whether to "just" go for bushes at the back (better for wildlife?) and then in front have a variety of annuals. I love foxgloves and have previously filled a bed with a host of varieties but think perhaps something with more density.

I have a long list to consider still - although i really am not a fan of grasses.

Maybe i am best "just" going for evergreens... So many choices! Hence asking for people's favourites image
  • Ach verdun have looked at the first ten you suggested and I love them all! I need to get on the computer at some point to look at all of these properly - but it has given me inspiration although still not close to a final decision, it has moved me on a step image
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

How deep is the border ?  This would help decide what to plant too ?

• Cheers again image I've actually got a beautiful golden buddleia which I haven't decided where to put.

The size of the border? Weirdly enough I was going to decide on that based on the plants I went for... Or is that a ridiculous way round to look at it?