Forum home Tools and techniques

Self watering Planter

Hi ,

I am pretty new to gardening. I bought some self watering planters for indoor gardening.Now , in the water indicator there is no indication or mark for the max water level.

Being that said , I need to of course determine the max water level to avoid over watering when filling the reserver. What is the logic or basis to determine the max water level ? Can anybody help ? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,944

Do you know the brand name? Without seeing the planter it's a bit difficult to say. Have you tried putting no compost into it and just filling with water to see what happens.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KousikKousik Posts: 4

Yes . The brand name is Yucabbe Italia. Here is the website link https://www.yuccabeitalia.com/.

As you said I did some R&D by just filling water and see how the indicator behaves. Now obviously indicator goes up as the water level increases, but the problem is how do I know how much water should I fill in , because only then I can determine the max water level. 

There are some holes at the bottom of the inner part of the planter. So is it the idea that the water should not go up above the holes while filling in the reserver ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086

I suggest you use the Help-line on the manufacturer's website and ask for clear instructions. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Well probably that's the first option I tried but unfortunately the customer support is not so good as I didnt get any response via email, they have chat room with no operator and phone line is only for ordering .

However I thought it will be so easy to figure out what can be the max water limit as its pretty simple design . Without even having instruction from the company anybody should be able to figure this out.

So , I am lacking some gardening knowledge and asking for some advice that how far the end point of the roots should be from the top level of the water in the reservoir , so that the capillary action can perfectly work to provide water to the roots. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086

As Pansyface has said, without seeing the planter it's hard to know how to advise you.  As the manufacturer is unhelpful (presumably you won't be buying from them again image) perhaps you could google 'build your own self-watering planter' and then you could identify a similar system and that should help you to fathom out what to do.

As long as the compost at the bottom of the pot is wet the moisture should rise through the compost to the roots. 

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Edd. That helps !!