Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for keeping mulch in place round trees - recycled stuff

hi, not sure if this should be garden design - but i have just put some trees in, now looking to weed supress at the base of them, got some wood chips. 

I need to keep these in place, some are on the flat and some are on a slope.  I guess lawn edging is normally used?  I was looking for something a bit more interesting. 

I can make squares from scrap wood, but would like circles if anyone has any ideas for recycling anything?  Something like a metal barrel hoop would be idea (but obviously i dont have any of those!)

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Hi they are great white cherry.  it will be a flower bed but empty at the moment.  Logs and rocks i have. 

Was hoping for something circular. 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

In Washington DC they use small lawn-fences around trees, plants bulbs like Tulips or bedding like Pansies and mulch with Coir. Am sure you can buy decent looking fences like that for £1 or more for better quality ones.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I've used old woolly jumpers and old T-shirts (must be natural fibres otherwise it doesn't rot). it keeps the neighbours talking! lol image

I liked the drum idea pansyface, but found something better, its the collar they use for plumbing underground. its already cerated as its meant to be cut/sawn, so you can cut the size you want easily.  I think this is an expensive product, but there is often leftovers, so pretty good solution. 

I wont have enough, so using cut wood as well (into squares) for other new trees.