Forum home Fruit & veg

Espalier apple trees

I would like to buy an apple tree (or maybe two) but as my garden is quite narrow, was thinking espaliers . Can anyone recommend any and best place to buy or offer advice on caring for them? I have seen "family tree" espaliers in a magazine where each branch has a different kind of apple. Are these a good idea?

Thanks

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

We have a few fruit trees - standard, stepovers and fans.  All have come bareroot from Ashridge trees, who have a great website with loads of advice on pollination, planting and pruning.

as for varieties, we went on an apple tasting day (lots are held in October time) and made a list of everything we liked the taste ofimage.

i haven't got any of the "family" trees, so can't help you thereimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Hi Diane image

Ive got a number of apple trees, mostly cordons im afraid until my OH get the fence built (but thats another story!), as far as i can tell, all apples can be grown into espalliers, just be careful of the variety from a taste point of view, some arent nice! What do you like? Cox, golden delicious?

With family trees, they might take more time to make in to espalliers as there are multiple grafts onto a parent stock, you would have to be careful not to inadvertantly cut out a whole variety, these would probably be easier to fan train image
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,491

I would look for varieties that you enjoy eating. Not much point in growing something that you won't want to eat.

I don't have an espalier but I have a stepover Gala and it flowers and fruits magnificently for its size. I gave a family pear tree and can see the advantage in that they will hopefully act as pollinators for each other. Check that the varieties on the family espalier are from the same pollination group.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Oh wow! so much to consider! I'll look into the cordons, fans etc before buying. I also love the stopover idea but have a dog and he may love it too! Will also check out Ashbridge and Deacons. Getting excited now!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,776

Also check-out Orange Pippin Fruit Trees - great site with lots of info:

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I had  a quick look at Orangepippintrees Bob....now I'm really spoilt for choice!  Thanks for that image