Forum home Fruit & veg

Sprouting Broccoli

Does anyone know if you can eat the leaves of the sprouting broccoli, it seems a shame not too ?

If so what is the best way ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Rosyanne I've eaten some of the smaller tender leaves, I steamed them.  

• Ok, thanks. Didnt want to try eating them tell I knew it was safe to do so.As haven't tried to grow this before but dont want to waste any of the plant if I can eat it.

Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

All of the plant is edible - but don't forget to leave enough leaves at this time of year for the plant to continue to grow and produce all the lovely side shoots - it should carry on producing these well into late spring. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 755

I don't touch the leathery bottom leaves, but the smaller one's make great stir fries. Picked my first sproting broccoli today - Never been this early, normally March. Perhaps I have done something right for once!

• Thanks for the suggestions I picked and washed some of the smaller leaves today and tried them in a stir fry tonight. Tasted very good. I have saved some for tomorrow to try and steam with a roast. 

Thanks. image

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 120

Interesting which varieties of sprouting broccoli gardeners are choosing to grow. Goodness, January is early to harvest, mine is usually April. Thought I would try one of the varieties from D.T.Brown's catalogue, next year. Not easy to make the right choice always.

• I left one of my last years sprouting broccoli plants in the ground and it has begun sprouting now. I will try to do the same thing again this year with a new plant grown from seed.