Forum home Wildlife gardening

getting ready for the great Garden Bird Watch

I've just registered for the RSPB annual garden bird watch, and for the last few days a green woodpecker has been visiting the old apple tree to breakfast on the last remaining apples, whilst a fieldfare has been content to sample those left on the ground.

I bet they will be nowhere to be seen on counting weekend!

and where have all the goldfinches gone?  we had a couple  arrive one day on the niger seed, but mostly none at all.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,976

Every year my birds hide for the duration of the RSPB Garden Bird Watch - they're really ornery creatures image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,323

Yes. You can bet if you normally have a dozen long-tailed tits in your garden there will only be one on the day.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I tried to sign up. was asked for my password. No idea (as usual) so requested another and couldn't make it go. I'll have another try before the day.

Some of my usual winter visitors are absent, reed buntings for one.

Some of my fieldfares are redwings. I discovered that when one made a suicide bid into the window. How can I tell which is which when I have to give numbers of each?

and what is it? the light and shadow? that causes birds to keep hitting the windows at this time of year. They don't do it throughout the rest of the year

It's so sad when they do that. Here is something, not very tastefu, but something:

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=window+sticker

Thanks pansyface, I wonder how many I'd need, my windows are huge,

It's even worse when there's snow on the groundimage

Yesterday it was a chaffinch as well as the redwing. Today there was a great crash before we were up, barely light. Whatever it was may have survived, I haven't found a body

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,976
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

I tried to sign up. was asked for my password. No idea (as usual) so requested another and couldn't make it go. I'll have another try before the day........

I've just done that and it worked image 

I thought I'd register early 'cos the site was all over the place last year wasn't it?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nightgardennightgarden SW ScotlandPosts: 112

nutcutlet - redwings have a rusty red patch under their wings that can be seen in flight but is also visible at rest just in front of closed wings

do you all know about the British Trust for Ornithology (www.bto.org) - they do a permanent bird count throughout the year. You can still do the RSPB one too but the other gives a good chance to count regularly. To do this one it costs £17 a year to help pay for the research but it is very interesting, I found I had more species in my garden than I realised because you do the counts at the same time each day or week or whatever you choose and for the same duration. I do mine 3x a week whilst eating my lunch so very relaxing!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I usually aim to do the watch between 9 and 10am but then I see a more unusual bird at about 8.30 and the count starts straight awayimage.  At least I finish earlyimage.

That's an interesting link to BTO nightgardenimage

Thanks night garden, it was when I saw my dead fieldfare lying with wings outstretched that I realised it was a red wing. But the Cotoneaster lacteus is full of one or the other or both and I can't tell which

I think that the fieldfares look a little greyer. But that's not much help if they are at a distance or have the light behind them.image