Need to replace what I think is box

YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,789

I have a small shrub in the front garden which I think has a problem.  Its suddenly gone bare in patches and I'm thinking of replacing it but not sure what with.  I would quite like a small tree but I'm worried about the roots because the garden is raised from the footpath behind a wall which is very old and I'm concerned the roots may damage it.  Ive attached a couple of photos which show the shrub in better days - its the yellow clipped pyramid one.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

What a pretty garden image.

Are you thinking of something like a small crab apple or cherry.  I think that something like that would be fine as long as it wasnt right up against the wall. 

What do others think? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,837
    VIBURNUM BODNANTENSE DAWN SCENTED WINTER FLOWERING BEE LOVING SHRUB

This is one of my favourites, small, not fast growing but the flowers have a deep spirit lifting perfume in early spring and mine flowers often thro summer.

worth a look?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

I'd want something with a better shape than those two winter flowerers. They have nothing to offer outside the flowering season, ungainly growth and boring leaves.

I like Verdun's taxusimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,644

I agree with Dove, but leaning more towards the crab apple. Blossom in spring, fruits in autumn, right size for a front garden, variety of colours.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,285

I think a crab apple would look great (check out the one called gorgeous - it does what it says on the tin!). However, something scented as you walk down the path to the front door would also be nice - how about one of the daphnes for something a little less straggly - mine started flowering on Christmas day this year, and will stillbe going in April - stops me in my tracks everytime I walk past it (which is why I am always late everywhere from Christmas to Easterimage)

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

Charlie, winter honeysuckles flower and have a wonderful scentimage

• It is not Box (I can't remember the name of what it is). Personally I would leave it where it is and hope that spring will help it regrow after a general feed. If you really want rid then I would keep to the yellow colour as it works well already.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,644

Now that I've clicked on the photo and seen it closer up I agree with Blairs that it is not box. I think it's a euonymus. They can get damage from vine weevils but usually re-grow.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • How about an Acer tree there is some spectacular acers available at different sizes to suit but can be pricey due to there slow growth rate. Its just a thought but they are slow growing and add great colors from spring through to autumn, especially the  ‘Sango-kaku’ with bright red twigs and its striking yellow foliage.