Forum home Plants

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I live on the side of a valley luckily, so all the water runs down it. Never seem to lose any plants to a wet Winter.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,687

Me tooimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,767

they didn't want my answers either

Devon.

maybe the whole " flooding followed by drought" isn't such a problem after all?

Devon.
  • nightgardennightgarden SW ScotlandPosts: 112

I've just completed the survey - be interesting to see what happens next, it may still be that my garden doesn't fit the bill but I bet there are hundreds of gardens affected by drought/flooding. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760

Strange you say that, Hostafan,  i have just found a book that was presented to OH at the start of the 1960's, book probably written before that and in it is a picture of field after field flooded, looks like the Somerset levels early on, they said the fields will flood due to very heavy rains we get in Feb, but dont worry, all the trees hedges and grass will be back as good as new by the summer.

Is ir really doom and disaster now or have we short memories?

There is a chappie where we used to live that was fanatical about measuring rainfall, has done it for donkeys years, he said it averages out every year.

Maybe its just the West Country, but apart from not so much snow, some years, its pretty much the same as always. We used to go to Plymouth Christmas shopping about this time and always just carried coats over our arms. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,243

My answers weren't needed either image

if my garden ends up underwater, then the whole of Devon is underwater

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760

Hostafan thats what we always say, 960ft above! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,687

I think they're just asking if we have noticed that some plants do better than others in flooded ground.  I didn't see anything asking if I had a double-barrelled name. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.