Forum home Talkback

Indoor Cyclamen

I planted some Cyclamen in my outdoor pots and had one left over. I potted it up in ordinary all-purpose compost. It is now on my kitchen windowsill facing east. It doesn't look very well. The flowers have gone limp and dropped off one by one. Now the same is happening with the leaves. How much/how often should I water? Should I keep the compost moist or pretty dry?Thanks for any advice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,487

I find they do best if the top of the compost is kept dryish and they're watered from below. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Don't they like the room to be quite cool too?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,487

Yes, they prefer to be away from radiators etc and in good light but not strong sunshine.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,372

The thread is titled 'indoor cyclamen' but is it an outdoor type you are trying to grow indoors?  If that's the case the outdoor types like Hederifolium and Coum don't like indoor conditions much at all.  Persicum types (aka florists cyclamen) are what to grow indoors and Dove and Steve are spot-on about the growing conditions for those - only water when the compost is dry on the top and only water from below.  Keep them on cool windowsills etc - they really hate centrally heated rooms.  Persicum types are easy to grow from seed and make beautiful, highly scented and long lived houseplants.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,984

I would have thought the kitchen was the worst possible place to try to grow cyclamen.  They don't like it too warm and they don't like rapid temperature change either.

• Thanks for all the advice-think I need to move it!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Mine was looking very unhappy indoors so I put it in the greenhouse and it has jumped back to life. Hope yours does too.