Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Hibernating ladybirds

Hi, we had a really sunny day here in Carmarthenshire last week which showed up how dirty the windows were, I decided to go outside to clean them, I saw several ladybirds on the window frames, they were more orange than red and I wondered what they were doing just basking in the sun.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

i reckon they must be doing what us humans have been doing and making the most of the warm weather. I wonder if they've scarpered home now? It was Baltic today!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It's pre hibernation behaviour. They make the most of the last warmth in the sun before going to sleep. Provide a place where they can keep frost free over winter. A garden shed is ideal.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,227

Inside our windowframes seems ideal - we get a shower of them everytime we open a windowimage

• Thanks for all the information, I often wonder where these pretty and useful little creatures vanish to in the winter. I will treat them kindly in future and try to find a space in the shed for them. Should I just leave them on the workbench to find their own cosy corner to sleep in and will the spiders already in residence leave them alone?
  • Last week in the local there were dozens on the wing lunch time when I took the dogs for a walk,the sun was shining then but none this week so they must have found there resting places.