Forum home Plants

Propagation of Fatsia Japonica and Agapanthus

KirkigirlKirkigirl Posts: 4

Two questions if you'd be so kind... 

1.Can anyone tell me how to propagate Fatsia Japonica? Is it from the berries which are showing now or are there other ways?

2. I've collected some seed from my agapanthus plant which flowered for the first time this year. How easy is it to grow these from seed? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,789

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/talkback-how-to-grow-agapanthus-from-seed/387-2.html

Have a look at this thread re the agapanthus, it's old but recently revived.

• Hello kirkigirl, I have a Fatsia that had a small side shoot growing near the main plant - I pulled it off and potted that up and it's in its own pot now. Never tried the berries though..

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,023

I think cuttings would be the way to propagate Fatsia but I haven't tried it. Did  your offshoot grow quite readily summerwine?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fatsia japonica will grow from seed. I grew it many years ago. I'll see if I can find my records, they might be difficult to findimage.

They'll need to be really ripe and black. I used bought seed but own fresh seed is always best as long as it's ripe.

image Found it

not over-helpful. 

Light, Warm.

I assume that means it needs light to germinate, covering with vermiculite instead of compost or grit will sort that out. 

Windowsill job at this time of year.

If you've got plenty I'd do some now and keep some for spring. 

• All your comments are extremely useful, thank you for your help. I'll have a go then and see what happens. It's exciting propagating your own stuff and especially satisfying when you succeed. Many thanks, Tina 

Great isn't it Tina? image

• Yes Fairygirl, the Fatsia took off pretty much straightaway. It's still outside in its pot and the main one is in the garden now.

Thanks summerwine. I've never tried propagating Fatsia and I love them so might take some cuttings next year. I had a  couple in the ground in a previous garden and bought one last year for this new place which is in a large pot. They make a great foil for other colours and shapes   image

• Yes, I like anything a bit different  and since it has berries now I might have a go with those - once they've aged a bit...