Welcome to the potting shed

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,914

Welcome.   Sounds like you've got your priorities right - structure first.   Newt is soil preparation which is best done thoroughly so you only have to do it once.

One tip once you have your edges done is to pile on lots of compost and/or well rotted manure and let the worms and weather work it in over wnter.   Easier than digging, especially for your back.   In spring you can then simply fork it over, removing any weeds and stones as you go then rake it over and plant in spring.  This way you have all winter for playing with layouts and plant lists.

Get some bulbs in now if you can though as they need all winter to grow their roots to be ready to put up shoots and flowers next spring.  

New shrubs and roses are best planted in autumn as they then have all winter to grow new roots, especially the feeding roots and shoudn't need extra watering next year.   However, if you haven't yet got the soil ready or haven't yet decided what to grow, you can also plant container grown specimens at any time of year as long as soak the roots before planting and you keep them well watered till the autumn rains come.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Nice to meet you Lol

we did a similar thing here 8 years ago. I think patience was the biggest lessonimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Thanks, I'm painting a wall today so hoping it stays dry.

i have got some allium and crocus bulbs in, a couple of small patches as I wanted a splash of colour in spring.

i have also got a few climbers that have been in for years and flowered really well this summer. Type 3 clematis I think. 

It is all quite exciting. image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Hi Lol, welcome.  At least you will have plenty of thinking time during the winter to decide what is going to work for you, giving your back a well-needed restimage  You're right it is excitingimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Welcome Lol, I'm sure you will get lots of good advice on here, most people are friendly and like to help.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Thanks everyone. I've been given some pallets as well now so thinking of using them as a base for decking but it's going to be a slightly awkward shape,

my alliums and crocuses are just showing their shoots which is very exciting. I also have a front garden with some shrubs that need cutting back and crazy paving that needs repointing so it's going to be quite a bit of work.

Until last year I could barely use the garden cos of allergies but new medication means I've been fine this summer. It's all very exciting.  image

• Hi Lol! Welcome to the forums! image Great to hear about your garden, and sorry to hear about your back. Good luck! 

• Recently subscribed to GW & wondered if anyone would care to comment on the Pro's & Cons of a polytunnel versus greenhouse. I am told that a polytunnel is quite long lived nowadays with improvements to the plastic & that much better to work in as can stand upright and roomier for the cost. I do notice that large greenhouses of any quality can be horrendously expensive to buy & have erected.

Many thanks.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,043

I'd start a new thread with this one, It will pull in those with experience of both.

Love the name, know it wellimage

welcome and happy new yearimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Ditto image