Forum home Plants

Wallflowers

Sue SSue S Posts: 2

Is it too late to buy wallflowers to plant now for spring? In the 'olden days' you used to be able to buy them from your local greengrocers, but they are a thing of the past.

• You are still ok to plant wallflowers, you can usually buy them from a garden centre or sometimes you can find them at a car boot sale.

• Sue SSue S Posts: 2

Thanks Chrissy. Sadly the only garden centre I have round here is B & Q, and they didn't have any. I'll keep looking.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

Garden  Centres seem to have them potted up rather than in bundles as we used to get them from the greengrocers.  If you know of any fruit and veg markets you may find some there.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Just bought a load from the wonderful Moat Road Nursery, 80p a bunch, bare rooted.image I suggest you google local nurseries, they are often much cheaper than Garden Centres like Dobbies and B&Q.

Or as Dove suggests, car boots and street markets.

• I have just bought 50 postage only £5.95 from Woolmans.  Not sure if they are still doing the offer.

Thanks for that advice Verdun, I was wondering about the best grouping, in the past I have planted them too sparsely and they have looked a bit sad.image

How far apart would you put the plants?

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

surface scattered seeds in august, plants are a couple of inches tall now. pull most of them but grow them in fairly large clumps(5 or 6 plants fairly closely planted) to avoid the spot of color look which is about my least favorite. last year most of them were purple or red-the year before mostly chrome yellow-next spring-who knows?

I like yellow and orange: instant joyimage