Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomberries

Got gorgeous tomatoes today from the veg shop. tiny little ones, 1/4 the size of cherry toms. TOMBERRIES. Has anyone grown  these? I found a website that sells them, Robinsons. They have a great selection of different types of tomatoes. Has anyone ever bought from this site? I wonder would they grow the same if I saved the seed from the ones I bought?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

I'd never heard of them. Google says they're a proprietary brand which usually means they're hybrids so wouldn't grow true to type. I'd imagine they've been developed from currant varieties, small cherries. On the other hand, some people are reporting that they do grow true to type. Where are they on the Robinsons site, Angela?

• Hi Italophile,

I will save some seed and try them that way. I thought the were like the British Breakfast Tomato especially as there are 60 tomatoes per truss, so maybe they are very small. If I save seeds now will they last until next spring to sow them? If so I will dry them out and I will send you some if you want them.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Dried and stored properly - eg, in an envelope, at a stable temperature - they will last for a decade. I'm okay for seeds for a while, thanks for the offfer.