Apple Trees - Hopeless Cases?

2»

• sjpsjp Posts: 19

I have at last taken some photos.  Please don't tell me offimage The first one is the Laxton and the second the Bramley

Sorry, wrong way round.  The top is the Bramley with the blue sky above and the other is the Laxton. 

• It could be that they are now past their best due to the age of the trees but you could try planting another pollinator that is in the same group as the Bramley or indeed a crab apple as suggested in the other posts above. If you have pruned it hard then it will take a few seasons to recover from this. Just remember Bramley fruits on the tips and so require very careful pruning to avoid losing all the potential fruit buds.

Thanks.  What I don't understand though is if the Bramley fruits on the tip how can you prune it?  Doesn't the branch just get longer and longer? Sorry to be so obtuse but I am not very logical on these things.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    Bramleys produce fruit at the tips of their branches and also on short spurs along the branches. It is a case of balancing the growth of the tree against wanting to have fruit. I usually divide the tree into three and prune a third of the branches hard each year, leaving two thirds to make apples.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
2»