Forum home Talkback

Grapes

I have some lovely grapes on my Muscat Hamburg vine. it is in a cold greenhouse and very healthy but I wonder why the grapes have not turned black yet. They are growing under a polycarbonate roof and I  wonder if this is why they are staying green ? They are thin skinned and I tries one or two and they are very sweet.  Will they need sun thro'glass to turn black or am I just wanting to rush them on ? I would be so pleased to get an answer to this.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,470

I've no experience of greenhouse vines, only outside ones, but this site http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/products/Grape-Muscat-Hamburgh.html which I rate very highly, suggests that the Muscat Hamburg can benefit from a little heat in cool autumns.  Although September hasn't realy been cool, it was cool here in August and is cooling down now.  Perhaps  a little heat now would be a good idea.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,510

It may not be the variety you think it is, possibly mislabeled. If the grapes are sweet and green that would indicate that it isn't a red grape. Normally it takes about 6 weeks from turning black to get to full ripeness. It might be one of the other muscats, perhaps Muscat of Alexandria.