Forum home Garden design

Ideas for impact tree/bush

We recently moved into a new house and the garden is lovely, too lovely to really do anything much with beyond a few plants to start with. In the area of soil at the edge of the turf and in front of the slide (you can just about see it sticking forwards) were two lovely round bushes that my wife asked me to remove as she couldn't watch our young daughter when she was on the grass. I have duly done that, but now think it looks rather bare.

I have filled it will lots of alium bulbs for this spring, but I would love a feature tree or bush there. Nothing overly tall, perhaps something that weeps. My ideas so far are a half-standard apple, a weeping cherry or Exochorda Macrantha "Bride". I bought a bride for my old house and it is currently planted elsewhere in the garden but is only a foot tall, I'd like quicker impact I think.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of replacing some of the edging plants with hawthorn and blackthorn in the autumn as I want to attract more wild birds and I like the idea of making my own slo-gin!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,805

Hi matt. I've had an ornamental pear in a previous garden which makes a lovely specimen. Pyrus salicifolius. Finely cut silvery green foliage. Eventually gets to two or three metres height and width. Lovely weeping habit. image

If you mean faster growing when you say 'quicker impact', it will also mean more pruning and maintaining to keep to a suitable size , so bear that in mind. You could buy a mature tree/shrub which will be expensive so it really depends on the budget image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,966

If you have bushes again your wife will have the same problem. What about a crab apple? Pretty blossom in spring, coloured fruits in autumn that you can make jelly with and feed the birds. Not too big and your wife would be able to see your daughter on the grass.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Blackthorn is not really suitable in a garden, near a house, because it is not a pretty plant/tree and it has fearsome thorns. It only has one burst of interest when it flowers, then nothing until you have sloes, most years, but not every year.