still dithering

i'm still dithering about what i can fit into the front garden, i'm wanting to plant a lilac and a small prunus, they will replace a rhododendron approx 3 metres high and wide, and a mass of shasta daisies, at the back of a large triangular bed backing onto neighbours garden, they will be around8 feet apart, have i room and will i be doing myself out of space underneath to heavily plant herbaceous stuff, perennials, some annuals, want garden to be really full of flowers and fragrance, sorry i'm still bleating on about same thing, i used to be indecisive now i'm not sure...

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,701

I think Lilac and Prunus are fairly slow growing, go on and plant any perennials you like under them, Some are only at their best for about 3 years anyway, and you can always dig them up and put them somewhere else when the trees fill out.

sow some annual seeds in March/April to fill in any gaps, it doesnt matter how close, they only live one season anyway.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

thanks lyn, want to ensure not too much shade too though the sun would only be behind them late eve and next doorhave large camellia and spirea bacmking onto ours

I am a bit of an unconventional gardener, I dont take too much notice of what plants should be in sun or shade, I put in what I like and most things do well. I have plants that no one would dream of putting in full sun or shade.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

lyn you sound like my dream gardening partner! i 'm a bit stubborn like that as my gardens are both partial shade really, though i adore my roses and lots that say full sun, i still plant them too!

• You can get dwarf lilacs that are more like a shrub rather than a tree

Rose here always in the shade, Queen Vic Lobelia in full sun all day and absolutely bone dry.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609
    Lyn wrote (see)

I am a bit of an unconventional gardener, I dont take too much notice of what plants should be in sun or shade, I put in what I like and most things do well. I have plants that no one would dream of putting in full sun or shade.

..I could have written that...lol... trial and error...

Verdun, I really appreciate that comment, thank you.

Rosemummy, I could help you with a hardy geranium, pink, its bloomed from Spring/Early summer and still is, I have chopped them back twice and its still going.