Forum home The potting shed

posting seed

Hi friends

being new to swapping seed , I'm asking can I post straight into a post. Box or do I take it to be weighed ?

What do you do ?

Reason I'm asking , like many  members we don't have a village post office any more,just a post box. The nearest post office is quite a distance .

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

I don't think an average packet of seed weighs much grandma - surely not heavier than some large cards? I'm posting a packet tomorrow and was just intending to get a stamp! image

Lots of people do it on here so I'm sure someone will advise.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,632

Yes, unless you're sending lots. Then the issue is thickness of envelope and you might need a large letter stamp.

It's 5mm thick, up to 100g and up to A5 envelope for an ordinary stamp

25mm thick, 750g and up to A4 for large letter stamp.

You can weigh on the kitchen scales but a few packets of seed is unlikely to go over weight.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,922

To keep the envelope and contents flat so that it does not exceed the thickness limit by bunching together,  I use a tiny piece of double sided tape to hold the seed envelopes in place inside the posting envelope.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,901

I weigh mine on digital scales, its the thickness, but I have a cardboard size chart from the post office so I can see if they go through the slot.

I just put the stamps on, you can get the type of stamp needed from the post office internet site.

I try to keep plants flat if poss as inder one inch they go for large letter rate.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It's not the weight, it's the thickness that might be the problem. If you were posting, say, beans or pea seeds, the envelope might be too thick to go by normal letter rate and would need to be a "large letter". Otherwise, most small seed packets would be fine, as long as they're spread out (see Berghill's post above).