Indoor Seed Propagator

I would appreciate having your opinons and experience of using a propagator

Im thinking of buying one to use in my conservatory to start off as many of my plants as seed

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,911

I start of all my seeds in either the conservatory or kitchen, never had a propagator and dont put anything in platic bags. But then, I have nevrr been one for gadgets, lots of people use them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Newboy......propagators can certainly be a useful tool.  IMO thermostatically controlled are a better bet.

As costs vary so much, it's worth considering exactly what you would want to use it for.....basic stuff or exciting exoticsimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,924

It depends what you want to use it for. Many perennials and hardy annuals will do just fine on a window sill, or in the conservatory, however if you want to grow more tender stuff then a heated propagator is very useful.

I have a very old one with no thermostat and start of all my tender perennials/annuals in it.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I have a £30 heated one I bought on-line last winter; no thermostat, but well worth it. It has 7 little trays with lids and a bit you can open once the seeds have sprouted, so the new plants don't cook. The brand is Garland.image