Forum home Plants

Sweet Pea flower no bloom yet

MTCFMTCF Posts: 3

I bought Sweet Pea plants in Homebase and planted them in the garden in June, they are growing well but no sign of any flowers. When should I expect to have flowers?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,675

I would have thought you would be seeing buds at least by now. How tall and how many stems do they have? Can you send a photo?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MTCFMTCF Posts: 3

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,675

They are definitely on the short side of tall! But they look healthy enough. You could try giving them a spray with a plant food - the type that works both through the roots and the leaves. That might push them into flowering. 

The trouble with buying plants at places like Homebase and B&Q is that, although the initial grower may have done a good job, the staff at these places have neither the time nor the inclination to look after them with anything more than the basic care, sometimes even failing to water them adequately. So they can suffer setbacks of which you are entirely unaware before you buy them.

If you can, the best way to have good strong sweetpeas is to grow them yourself from seed. They aren't difficult and you know what has gone into them.

If the plant food doesn't work, give them a strong talking to and tell them they'll be on the compost heap if they don't buck up their ideas. I find that usually works wonders image.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MTCFMTCF Posts: 3

Thanks I will try the plant spray. 

• looloo Posts: 1
    I like the good talking to, it usually works for me!! But the plant food won' t go amiss either!! image
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,975

They look like the everlasting sweet pea to me, in which case they dont bloom this year, they are perenials, plant this year, flower next. I have a load waiting to be planted out, the leaves look like those, slightly different from ordinary sweet peas.

If they were annuals they would be showing signs of dying down by now, dont dig them just yet, wait till next Spring when they may well shoot up.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

I second that Lyn image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Yup I am with Lyn and B mum. I have some from seed from a friend on strict instructions to cut the back in the spring. I was well rewarded.image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne