Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes

• jane 23jane 23 Posts: 2

mine have all got blight.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Some of mine have blight ,they say it's air born and comes from growing potatoes which the foliage has the blight ( I think)

So next year may give it a miss with the potatoes or try the greenhouse again hope fully we will get more Sun Matt the right time .

This August I believe has caused the problems ,it's not usually cold as this , might have to check if there are any tomatoes that don't need the sun ! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I've been eating Sungold for weeks - they are always the first to ripen and last to finish cropping here, so have a permanent place in my planting plans. image  Suncherry Premium, too (similar in all respects to Sungold but red.)  All of the others are behind this year despite starting earlier than usual - cold spells early in the growing season are to blame IMO.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

All good on the tomato-front in Essex.

I've already had 30+ from my Maskotka in a hanging basket and masses more to come. The Shrirley's are producing well in the g/house. Gardeners Delight doing OK outside (last year was better), Black Cherry doing well inside and out, masses of Roma almost ready and don't know what to do with all the Sungold - 1st time I've grown these and seem almost too sweet for a tomato, but they seem to split a lot - the others haven't, but will def grow again next yr.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Margaret Gilmour.

Have faith Margaret, feed every other day with a high potash content tomato feed, this is what helps the ripening process, not just the sun. As you may be well aware, at end of Summer nearly every tomato grower has masses of green tomatoes which ripen on trays in a warm room after picking, ie no sun.  Also tomato feed is beneficial for flowering plants.

Why not grow a few comfrey plants and make your own organic potash feed, believe me it works. There are good videos on youtube.

• jampotjampot Posts: 8

Hi, not as good as last year but Shirley and Alicante have done fairly well.

TumblingTom and Black Opal have been poor, always next year

Good Luck

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I have two Urbicany outdoor bush tomatoes which are a mitre across and almost as tall - well they were until a rain/hail storm flattened them. Excellent crop of handsome fruit but some damaged ones have rotted, which is a shame. Fingers crossed for the rest. I have three Green Zebra, small crop and slow but now ripening. In my poly tunnel I have Sunset Red horizon - fair crop of large, tasty tomatoes but some splitting,  Amish Paste, again a fair crop but smaller fruit than expected and Pink Oxheart-a real thug that is trying to take over. Again, not the largest of crops but tasty.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Have garden pearl and sungold in hanging baskets that are absolutely heaving with fruits. About half are ripe and half still to ripen. Red Alert also in abundance, and Costolutos have done really well this year, only my second year of growing them. Some have ripened but I picked off all I could reach last night to ripen on the windowsill. I've grown all my plants on a deck where they get baked by the sun (when we have it)all day.

Mel M, I haven't heard of Amish Paste or Pink Oxheart before. Any chance of you saving some seed?

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Hi Gardenmaiden.

I most certainly can, with pleasure. How do I get them to you? you can find out the info about Amish Paste at Real Seeds and Pink Oxheart at Plant World Seeds