Bricks for lawn edging

I need to put some bricks around the edge of the new flower bed that I have created, are engineering bricks OK and what mix of cement should I use?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,053

Hi Steve, don't know about cement

There are pros and cons to engineering bricks. The pros are longevity and frost resistance. The cons, or maybe just the one, they look like new, harsh, sharp cornered engineering bricks for years.

We went to a reclaimed yard after a hard winter and chose soft, kinder-looking bricks that had obviously been out there for ages without any sign of spalling.

But laid flat between lawn and border you wouldn't notice the sharp edges of engineering bricks would youimage

• As this bed is in the middle of the lawn, you may have just made a very good point that I hadn't considered.

• Hi, Steve...I would suggest that be sure your bricks are not porous, otherwise they will crumble with frost.

The mortar mix will be 4 parts sand to 1 part cement.....adding a few drops (no more) of washing-up liquid will give the mixture elasticity and thereby be easier to spread.

PS. tell the builder's merchant that you need the sand for brick laying, as there are several different types for specific uses.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sorry David K but steve isn't laying bricks, he's creating a foundation on which bricks will be laid. Your mix will be 3 to1 sharp sand/cement. 4 to 1 will be too sloppy for a foundation and the bricks won't be even as some will sink into the mortar. Washing up liquid is great for laying bricks but not for a foundation which needs to set relatively quickly.

• Sorry image thort he was laying bricks....note to oneself, don't skim read. image

• Ye gads, I'm not skilled enough for that. I might manage to get these just about level...

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

Unless your ground is very soft, I would not lay them on a concrete base. I have done lawn edging and a brick patio circle for a swing just on compacted soil. My soil is just normal stuff. None of my bricks have moved in the last 10 years. I used brick pavers rather than bricks. They are slightly thinner I think than bricks but hard.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Hogweeds suggestion of paviors is a good one, but I'd still use a base as suggested, they can be cheaper than bricks as well and available from any good builders merchant. Levelling is easy, use a spirit level and lay them directly opposite each other and move in a clockwise direction till you have your desired effect, for wider area's use a plank or scaffold board. If the area is too big for a board get the first one level and use that as a guide for the next one, side by side. 

• I neglected to mention that one side would be lawn and the other would be to restrain some decorative gravel acting as a mulch around the planting (this is all about a pond really) and thus I think I do need stable. Around the outside edges of the land, the bricks are laid on sharp sand and haven't moved that much but you can see they aren't quite level these days!

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,784

Hello , simple solution which I have done is to us block paving bricks , beveled edges as well , either just lay them on sand or buy some ready mixed cement that you just add water 

Best of luck image