Forum home Talkback

help

Lin21Lin21 Posts: 12

Can anyone identify a plant I've seen in a garden please. It's about 4 feet tall, shrub -like with pinate pale green leaves and clusters of BLUE pea-like flowers that smell strongly of coconut. Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,640

I'd need a photo Lin.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,922

Check out Galega officinalis. That has coconut scented blue pea like flowers (so they tell me, never found any scent on ours).

I've never caught a whiff of that either Berghill. Is it shrub like enough? You'd never mistake mine for shrubs

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,922

It was the only plant I could find with the description given. Dug it out ages ago as it is such a thug.

It does get about a bitimage

Perhaps a photo will appear or more info (please)image

• Lin21Lin21 Posts: 12

My thanks for replies. Unfortunately I can't produce a photo as it's not in my garden, but having looked up your suggestion of Galega I think you might be right. Certainly looks similar but nowhere can I find any mention of the coconut smell which was very marked and I would have thought would be a real pointer for identification.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Lin - if you google Hardys plants it mentions that Galega has a coconut smell.  image

• Lin21Lin21 Posts: 12

Great - will do. Many thanks. Sounds as if the mystery is solved!

I'm going for a sniffimage

Couldn't smell anything at all, but there are very few flowers left and it's cool and breezy