Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

when should I prune Buddleia ?

• Many thanks Verdun for the info.

• I tend to prune about a third back in Autumn, once they have stopped flowering, then fully back in Spring when you will see new shoots growing on them - you can cut back to a pair of healthy new shoots at that point.

These plants, even the dwarf varieties, are wonderful late food for the Red Admiral butterflies that tend to appear late in Summer where we live (these late arrivals are the new year's generation apparently).

• MirandaFMirandaF Posts: 31

Will all this good advice apply to dwarf buddleia too? I have been deadheading regularly and they have been beautiful this year, so don't want to risk killing them! Thx for any helpimage 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I expect they get pruned in the same way as standard ones Miranda. A few people on the forum have them so they will be better able to advise on that. You might not need to do the autumn pruning - mainly done to avoid wind rock, which just means the heavier, taller branches make it top heavy, so branches can break and sometimes the shrub uproots, but that depends on your conditions and site etc.

I've heard some people saying that the dwarf ones aren't as 'dwarf' as they're made out to be though! 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Well, the cream one is a good metre in height, but is so pretty I can forgive it. I've got it planted in front of some decking and it looks lovely while softening the edges too, so would recommend them! 

That's pretty dwarf for a buddleia then Miranda image

I love buddleias even if they're a bit common - they're so good for bees and butterflies. Does your cream one look a bit scruffy when the flowers die back though? It's the one drawback of the whites as opposed to the  pinks and purples, but at least with a small one it's easier to keep on top of the deadheading!

Well it does, but on the other hand a bit of deadheading is a good way to avoid the washing up, and supplies instant gratification!

Can't beat a bit of deadheading - very therapeutic  image

Absolutely! (This is where we could do with a 'like' button!) 

• I pruned my Buddleia in the autumn of 2015, it is now massive full of blossom and of course butterflies