Forum home Talkback

Suggestions welcom

Next to our drive we have a dry stone wall which contains various alpines. There is a small area of soil between the base of the wall and edge of the drive. I have started putting flat beach pebbles in this area and wondered if anybody could suggest what to put in the spaces between the pebbles. Tried to post a photo but without success.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,924

Sempervivums? Sedums? Thyme?. Dwarf Campanula? Aubrieta?  Silver Saxifrages?

To a certain extent it depends on how much sun it gets and whether it is walked/driven on.

• Berghill it is not walked/driven on and is in a shady area. Am trying to load a picture but without success.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

There are hardy geraniums that would cope in that position.  Is the soil heavy or sandy?

To upload photos click on the green tree icon on the right hand side of the toolbar above and follow instructions.  It can take a little while to show and does not work from i-phones (yet).

• Lesley - been trying to do just that re picture but to no avail image

Soil is excellent - the area our house was built on was the village orchard a couple of hundred years ago.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Weekends always seem to have problems with uploading photos etc.  Try again next week.  If you have really good soil you could grow almost anything that needs a shady situation.  Sure others will be around to help with ideas.

• Thanks Lesley  I have a blog and have photos of all my garden projects there.

http://mrsnesbittsspace.blogspot.co.uk/