Forum home Plants

Iceberg climber possibly mis-sold?

dockyrphdockyrph Posts: 11

Hi there - my first post here. I bought two white roses from a reputable nursery three years ago which were sold to me as Iceberg climbers. After a spectacular june flowering, the rose (I have two of them) has never reflowered in the three years I've had it. The flowering tends to be concentrated in June/late May and I assiduously dead head (cutting the stems down a few leaf nodes each time) I give the same treatment to other roses in the garden all of which reflower. I'm seriously considering grubbing these roses out as I really don't want a 'one hit wonder' and I selected iceberg because of its repeat flowering promise. I'm no expert but this characteristic sounds more like a rambler than a climber. Is there such a thing as an Iceberg rambler?? If I grub em out this winter and given they've been in the ground only three years, might it still be ok to replace with another rose without risking (too much ..) rose replant disease? any comments gratefully received!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,949

Do you have any photos of the flower heads? Iceberg is a fairly distinctive rose and someone should be able to confirm whether it is or isn't the one.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,978

Hi Dockyrph, Iceberg is a climber and should repeat flower.  David Austin describes it as a floriferous climber throughout the season so I doubt that it is Iceberg.  Do you feed after the initial flowering.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands