Forum home Plants

ID needed please on this shrub and advice if possible to be dug out and moved?

Dahlia25Dahlia25 Posts: 16

http://webkit-fake-url://F9F7CD13-2399-46BD-A42A-F49F7C04A16B/imagejpeg

• Dahlia25Dahlia25 Posts: 16

we love this shrub so don't want to really lose it, seems a shame but we need to widen our drive and it's right next to it. Was wondering if anyone knows the name of it and if it would be easy to dig out, does it have a strong deep root system? And would it cope with being moved? It has a lovely fragrance when it's trimmed if that's of any help?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

That's not much to go on Dahlia. a photo of the whole shrub and a clear photo of the leaves would be good. Is it evergreen, what colour are the flowers and, if you want to move it; how big is it and how long has it been there?

Yes it's evergreen, haven't had any flowers on it as of yet but we only moved into the property late April. It's approximately 7feet tall but seems to be a fast grower. Unfortunately not sure how long it's been there as only moved into the property a few months ago. Must have been there for a lot of years. I will upload a better one of the leaves.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,553

Bay

Laurus Nobilis

Devon.

Thank you hostafan1 I did wonder if it was a bay but the lack of flowers threw me, perhaps we had just missed the flowering period with moving in late April. Any tips on how they are to be moved?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,553

It looks a bit of  a beast to move. I'd wait until it's dormant in winter and get as big a root ball as possible before moving it. Giving it good cut back will improve  its chances of re-establishing. I'd be tempted to take it down to just a couple of feet. All that foliage sucks a lot of water , even in winter, and the less of it you have, the better the chances.

In my humble opinion.

Devon.

Brilliant thank you for the advice image I was thinking it maybe a good idea to cut it back quite abit to make it easier to handle, it is a beast isn't it! they take so long to grow I thought it would be ashame to just chop it down. Will take your advice and come winter look to move it into the back garden image thank you

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I think you have a laurel bush, they are very hardy and I cut mine back viciously every year and back it comes! But the blackbirds love it  Hostafan is right. Wait till winter, take all branches off then dig out.   Good luck

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Laurus noblis, commonly called bay or bay laurel as hostafan says.

Not to be confused with Prunus laurocerasus, commonly known as laurel or cherry laurel.