Garden Timers......irrigation for a new gardener with project

Hi everyone,

I have recently undertaken a proejct to fix up my mothers garden which has been overrun and left desolate for a while now. I have a keen affinity to gardening although i am new to it!

Basically i need to set an irrigation system up and have been looking at garden timers. My plan is to reseed the lawn and work on the flower beds but i didnt want to purcahse a timer without research. Any help would be great. I am also wanting to make sure that when i hook up my irrigation that by leaving the tap on with a timer it doesnt simply lead to a huge water bill! i presume there is a valve or something on the timer that opens when you time things.

As well as this i am interested in shaping a vegetable patch. What are good ways to go about this i.e.e does anyone know what vegetables are resillient to someone like me (A beginner) cultivating them?

Thanks in advance. Great site by the way

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,871

Hi JLI & welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what you are planning to use the irrigation system for. Is it for pots, a small bed or for watering the whole garden? If the latter - how big is the garden?

Anything larger than a tiny garden and you might be better off looking at professional irrigation kits. If it's just for pots or one or two small beds - something from the GC should be OK. In a bed you might find a seep hose better than sprinklers / drippers.

I have always used the Hozelok timers and they have a range to suit most needs. I found it better to pay a little more for one that allows more complex timing. This is because I prefer to irrigate beds for longer (perhaps an hour) less often (perhaps every 3 or 4 days). For pots I prefer to do maybe 15mins once a day. A lot depends upon aspect, temperature and rainfall but the timers are easy to reprogramme if you decide to water more or less.

There is a valve in the timer. Basically you set the timer to come on at a certain time for however many minutes you choose. On the more complicated timers you can set this for several times a day, once a day, or every 2 or 3 days - whatever you think the conditions dictate. You leave the tap turned on and the valve opens and then closes at the preset times to irrigate. You can override the timer if you want to do additional watering. 

Regarding your veggie patch - I suggest you post again on the fruit & veg forum asking for ideas about how to start - you'll receive lots of good advice. You might want to consider doing your planning and making this autumn with a view to starting sowing in the spring.

Easier plants to start with include salad crops, peas and carrots.

Good luck!

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down