Forum home Talkback

newbie alert!

Hi everyone, just joined today in looking for a bit more knowledge ( especaily from the old vetrans) about looking after and secret tips on my cactus and tropical plants, iv got a few but i don't know the names or even know what type of plant they are but im eventually going to send photos of them and hope some people could help, iv also got a couple of orchids and before i start collecting loads of them id first like some simple info how to keep them alive and healthy for the years to come , thank you all ill be seeing you around.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,394

Welcome matthewimage

I'm not any of the experts but Orchid Lady helped me recently with my orchid and I believe there is a member in Canada who knows a great deal about the different kinds.

I'm sure you'll find the forum helpful- I haveimage

• Brilliant ill take that on board thanks , nice welcome too, and quick!!
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Matthew3 image

I'm not a cactus or orchid grower. As Victoria Sponge says we definately do have orchid growers.

• Lovely , im full of questions
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Welcome image

Doubt i will be much use to you, but there is a wealth of knowledge on here image
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Hi Matthew and welcome.  I'm not an expert by any means, I just love orchids as they are so pretty and I currently have 6 (although one that I 'rescued' from a garden centre is very poorly image I have learnt all that I know from speaking to Orchid growers/clubs at flowers shows, the internet and a couple of books.

What type of orchids do you have?  Are they Philaenopsis (moth orchids)? Also, what stage are they at....flowering or not?

Bill in Canada has LOADS of Orchids (I think he said about 40), he was about earlier but isn't on much at the moment.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've 'bumped' up one of the threads for you Mathew, if you go on latest posts you should see it there.

• Ok thanks
  • Orchid lady in sorry i don't know what you mean by bumped up and i don't know what thread in looking for? Excuse the newbieness,,anyway ill find a way to post some threads with my questions , and ill probely see you in there in sure, , my orchids are Philaenopsis , and one has gone through flower and dropped them all so i don't know what to do with it at this stage, and the other has just started flowing with about six buds to go, iv heard they last up to about 7 years and like to know how to be able to succeed in that and maybe replant them so they get nice and big and a good center piece for my living room table ,thanks ,matthew
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,394

Orchid Lady was moving a thread back up to the top in the 'latest posts' section that she thought you might be interested in.

People say bump but it doesn't matter what is written - it is the time of the last post that determines where it is in the list.image