ideas

this is the west facing bed, unfortunately it get s cast into a lot of shade by the fig tree, i'm thinking of moving this 'new dawn ' rose and replacing with honeysuckle, and moving the dianthus, the aubteria is staggly and doesn't flower well, any suggestiojs appreciated, thanks in advance

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

!it seems very dry probably because of the fig, I have 1 Japanese anemome about to flower and a lunar is annua that's been very badly eaten, a hagley hybrid clematis in the right corner seems to be settling in ok but what can I add? I hate bare soil!

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,524

I'm no expert rosemummy but had a thought as the little wall edge looks like dry stone wall and people plant them up with plants that need next to nothing soil so maybe you could look up some of those and hopefully they would spread all over? image

Does look really pretty though rose mummy but you're like me and don't like spaces image Maybe just amother thought as what you have does look really nice but you want to fill the space that you fill the space with few of same plant and if you go for like I said above maybe an alpine campanula type? It could spread around and act as back drop for the bigger plants 

Thanks bm, I planted aubretia hoping it would do that but it's just gone really leggy and flowers very poorly, think though it does get some direct sun , it' s only for an hour or two, that flipping fig tree is a pain! I will look at campanula, like themimage

Give the aubrietia a good hair cut and sure it will grow back lovely image

Also if you search through the threads I'm sure I saw one for plants to grow in dry walls image

I think the fig looks really lovely x

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Ive got a little sedum type thing in that sort of spot, its really pretty and throws up very delicate stems with pretty flowers on, might be worth doing a "google", or im happy to send you a bit image

What about herucherers? They are so useful in problem areas, and a really wide range of colours, an added bonus is that pests dont seem bothered by them at all image

thanks for replying Bekkie,hmmm.. got 1 heuchera, it's on my 'meh' list , sorry ! just think it's o.k.. i have sedum in front ,that's on the same list! the one i have in my opinion looks like broccoli, so yours sounds much nicer, problem is , I'm a real flower girl, very little time for foliage, I suppose as I'm a newishbe, maybe I'll start to appreciate it..i have got some alcemilla mollis in front, i could move some of that, if I tyr to sort the aubretia and add campanula, surely I could find a dianthus that would be ok too, the fig is lovely bu tthe leaves are huge and I spend an awful lot of time cutting them off to let light in so plants get sun and figs ripen, i suppose I could move some of my million hardy geraniums ther, I'd like some lower growing ones if anyone can suggest one I'd be grateful, oh yes, and fussy to the last I only like pink white blue and lilac/purple!

You be as fussy as you like rosemummy image I've got a lovely low growing hardy geranium, deep pink, I'll look the name out for you in the morning as first time in weeks it's pouring here now! 

thanks bm, i have lots of very tall ones that are set on world domination so will be drastically thinning this autumn

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I couldnt agree with you more RM, BUT, i didnt know there were so many of these heruchera wotsits about, the house down the road from me has roses planted up with colour matching herucherers, it makes even the roses look better!

I only like certain colours in my own garden too, nothing wrong with thatimage

Ive got roses, genorous gardener, brother cadfeal and wild edric against a north facing fence, there is another coming up in the same bed but further along so a worse spot, its either zephrine duphone (?)or albertine, either way its exeptionally healthy, might be just the thing image

What about ajuga? Mind you, thats a bit foliagy too for most of the year!