North-facing border ideas, shared with neighbour.

Hello. We share a border adjoining the front of our house with our neighbour's house. We would both like to align our planting so there is some cohesion. The north-facing border divides the front of our houses. We would both like the border to be fairly low-maintenance, affordable and to have some sense of structure throughout the year. We are both agreed on a base of flinty/purple shingle. We like an English country garden look, so were thinking lavenders (lavenders have worked in a previous north-facing garden), our neighbour likes cordylines and grasses. The space is about 3m by 2m squared. Any suggestions that meet the above criteria are welcome. Shrubby, fulsome planting ideas would be great. Thank you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,297

Verbena Bonariensis springs to mind at this late hour. Even in winter their skeletal forms give structure and they're inclined to seed around.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,127

I have some Bergenias in my north border, they keep the leaves, in Spring just cut off any tatty ones and away they go.

I have 3 or 4 hebes, they are evergreen and just need a bit of cutting back if they get too big, they are easy from cuttings that grow quickly, 

Foxgloves were good there, as were lupins this year, but they do need attention, cutting back and bare in the winter.

Hostas are good, but then not evergreen and susceptible to slugs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933

Hydrangeas, pieris, choisya, rhododendron and sarcocca will all do well. I'm not up on grasses but there is a useful thread on grasses on the forum. Heucherellas, astrantia , geraniums and many more will all do well in a north facing border.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller