Forum home Talkback

Thicker, heartier yews?

I unfortunately have an unpleasant neighbor who - every May or June - hacks my yews (on his side) to within an inch of their lives. There is absolutely no reason to do this other than his being a . There is no talking to him either. While the yews are - shockingly - still doing ok and growing, I want to make sure I keep them hearty and healthy. The bottom half is sparse and many of the lower limbs are getting brown (though the top is still fluffy and green). Any suggestions on what I can do on my end to keep them growing well?

Thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,527

Yew is perfectly happy being cut hard back - in fact this will make it grow thicker and stronger.  

Info on growing and maintaining a hedge here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=353 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yew is the one evergreen that can be hacked without too much damage. Have you looked at the hedge from his side? Does it impinge on his garden too much?

If the base is sparse perhaps it needs to be cut back on your side too. Yew is very good at growing out of bare wood.

Remember how good a bottle of wine is at soothing animosities!
  • Thank you for the great news, Dovefromabove and Welshonion.

The base just looks so brown and sticky, whereas the top still looks ok. The hedge does not impinge on "anything" on his side. Nothing at all. Which is why his hacking of it is unnecessary. He is just the antagonistic type. I would also be more than happy to cut the yews on his side but the people where I live are antisocial.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Sadly some neighbours are bad neighbours.