hardy geraniums pictures

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Lovely blue Dove.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,690
    Forester2 wrote (see)

Fridgetbones - G. Phaeum is supposed to be good for dry shade.  I purchased a couple this year from a local 'open garden' and was assured they were good for that position.  I will find out next year if that is the case. 

I've got Phaeum in the driest part of the Shady Bank, under the biggest ash tree - it seems very happy there and is self-seeding, so if anyone wants me to send them a few little ones send me a PM.

'There's a flower that shall be mine, 'tis the little celandine.' W Wordsworth

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,230

I've just trimmed all mine so no photos.  Sorry.

Geranium phaeum is a bit of a thug here but that's OK as I have plenty of shady spots that need ground cover, it's easy to control and the bees just love the flowers.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..as much as I like 'Rozanne' in the ground, it grows too big for my garden, as we see in the lovely photo of Verdun's above... so I divided mine up and now grow in containers, where I plant the pot at the base of viticella Clematis so that it grows up to cover the bare few feet of stems...  I put the container in place after the Clematis has thrown up all its new shoots for the season... by end of June the Geranium has climbed 3 foot or so up the stems.... this plant was a Spring planted division...

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

'Russell Prichard'... I wish this would grow better for me.. I do find it a tricky, fussy customer... I've lost any number in the past...

I'm very fond of this Geranium 'Cambridge'... it flowers mid-May to mid-July, coinciding with the main rose season, so I use it as underplanting..

..Geranium 'Patricia'... one of my favourites.. a Psilostemon type, but I think it flowers for much longer... it will flop but I don't mind that with these...

..I suppose I should apologise to Verdun for daring to expose roses on his thread..lol.. knowing how much he loves them of course...

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Wow Verdun that's a fabulous plant I've just bought 'Rozanne' and was just looking for pictures of how big it gets, lovely, anyone recommend  any  good  doubles?  I  have quite a few geraniums and last year a friend sent me a piece of a purple double, no senior moment the names gone, love it  and on the lookout for more.

Gorgeous geraniums everyone image

Salino .roses and geraniums were meant to be togetherimage 

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Hi Verdun, thankyou the white Double Jewel would be perfect just googled it the spot I'm thinking is near to a black elder so perfect, on my to look for list image

I don't have Elke no or Tanya Rendell, do have Midnight Reiter taken a couple of years to get going but great this year, also bought Hocus Pocus a few weeks ago.

Also have Splish Splash, and a seed grown Splish Splash that came out all Splish and no Splash but still lovely image

Midnight Reiter

The Phaems are lovely aren't they I was sent mixed seed on a swap shop years ago and there were quite a few different colours, love this one image

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 956

Just saying hello so this thread appears in my followed threads listing and I don't have to search for it again....