hardy geraniums pictures

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

this is rozanne.  been flowering for months...like everyone elses's....and will do so until autumn.

nothing small for me in the garden...this is 10' across and 4' plus high.  no weeding here and easy peasy plant

what varieties do you have?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,277

I have Johnson's Blue which I prefer to Rozanne which gets too leggy and floppy for me.   Then there's Ann Folkard, 3 macrorhizums, Sweet Heidy, Kashmir White, Double Jewel, nodosum and several more for which I no longer have labels and including a very invasive pink one which I'm removing as I work my way round the garden in the big clean up.  You can definitely have too much of a good thing.

The Vendée, France
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I like the way it's been trimmed to shape there, or appears to have been, to curve around, although it naturally forms that kind of mound...  I do the same with 'Mavis Simpson'... almost as rampant I think... still, a lovely shot with the meandering shingle paths..that's one of the style's of gardening I enjoy very much...

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,277

My Johnson's Blue has been flowering for months and would have carrie don but I've pulle doff all the flwering stems to let it concentrate on smart new foliage and a new flush of flowers in August/September.

I too planted Rozanne on the corner of a path but it grew so lax that it covered the entire path and then it started swamping its neighbours.   Most of it has now been seen off by a succession of hard winters and then a boisterous hemerocallis swamped what was left after this mild winter.

The Vendée, France
  • davids10davids10 Posts: 895

i have many geraniums but climate isnt right for them-rozanne blooms for a few weeks before the heat does for it-spring bloomers are better-some-ann folkard for instance- pack it in almost instantly. mavis simpson is a strange one-dies back to a tiny clump every winter then comes back and blooms all summer-here with callirhoe involucrata

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,049

Verdun, is that one plant.? is it in full sun?

I ask because I have three very small rozannes, which are just starting to flower, and I really want them to ground cover a shady dry patch...

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Hardy geraniums are my number one favourite plant - such good 'doers' and so many different varieties for shade or sun.  Lovely picture Verdun.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,048

This Rozanne has been flowering for some weeks now - it's a great favourite with the honey bees.   This is a north facing bank so it's doing pretty well. 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Fridgetbones - G. Phaeum is supposed to be good for dry shade.  I purchased a couple this year from a local 'open garden' and was assured they were good for that position.  I will find out next year if that is the case.