Forum home Talkback

Deviding blackcurrant bushes

ColinAColinA Posts: 336

Hello

I have just taken over an allotment and on it there are two very large blackcurrant bushes approx 5Ft high by 6ft wide. I am wanting to move them to a new fruit area on the allotment.

Is it possible to lift and divide large established bushes? Any info appreciated

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368

Hi Colin, each bush will have a single main stem so they can't be split as such, but if you have any suckers which have their own roots, you could split those from the main root and each will make a new bush.  They are also very easy to propagate from cuttings - just cut a stem about the thickness of a pencil and 8-10" long and stick it in the ground with 4-5 inches above the soil - do several in case some don't take.

While you could try an move an established bush, it would be risky and I would wait until autumn, cutting off all the branches and leaving stumps about 6 inches long.  If you don't do that the foliage which grows next spring will exhaust the roots before they have time to re-establish and the whole bush will probably die.  Whatever you decide to do, you'll get no fruit next year of course.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 336

Thanks for the info i have already started some cuttings as an insurance