Help, I think I've killed a Ceanothus (Silver Surprise) !!!!

Hi, I got this plant as a gift and followed instructions for potting it from the gardeners world site, but I'm a total novice in the garden and I think I've killed it as the leaves have all curled up and are falling off. I've been watering regularly but it's looking pretty dire. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to break the news to the person who bought it for me!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

Hi Dj

Was it not potted when you received it and when was that?

• DuvaljonesDuvaljones Posts: 11
    It was in a small pot and I transferred it to a larger pot, put gravel in the bottom and filled it with compost, covering the roots. That was about 2-3 weeks ago.

That shouldn't have upset it at all. Did it dry out at any time? They're don't need a lot of water but they don't want to dry out. Only prolonged heavy rain is enough to keep potted plants going in summer

It did look a bit dry the other day, if I keep up the daily watering will that perk it up?

It depends how far it's gone. If the root ballwas very pot bound and dry when you potted it on it may not have taken up water.

emergency treatment for that is to dunk it in a bucket of water til the bubbles stop rising

Ok I'll try that, thanks.
    Thank you, I'll try doing that.
  • Update, I soaked it, repotted and watered daily and the green colour steadily returned from the bottom up.

However, not all the way to the top or to the ends of the branches, which are still brown. Someone at work has suggested 'pruning back' to where it's green.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks