Forum home Talkback

What are these little black beetles on my roses?

At the weekend I was lucky enough to pick up two David Austin roses for ??16 at a plant fair. Both were in good condition. One was William Morris and the other was Crown Princess Margerita. Today however, I noticed that both, and particularly the princess, were covered in little black beetles, which seemed to be eating the petals (mainly the flowers not the foliage were affected). I have looked it up online, and none of the beetles there described, fit the bill. These were bigger than storm flies (thrips) and definitely black as opposed to brown or black and green. Smaller than ladybirds, or even ants - maybe half the size of a grain of rice? I sprayed them with a rose spray for greenfly and blackspot, and a lot of them have died, but not all. I have taken some pics, but they aren't that good, but give an indication of size. Any ideas folks?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,443
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Dove, that's exactly what they are!!  Thank you image  I will never cease to be amazed at nature's abundance when it comes to things to spoil your crops and flowers!  Although it sounds like these are not the end of the world, but they have spoiled my enjoyment of a beautiful flower.  We are prime candidates for the pollen beetle it seems, living as we do in an area surrounded by rape fields.  Even down to the fact they have bothered the orange rose more than the pink one...!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Busy, I've just PMd you

Oh, I will look up leaf beetle too then Edd!!  Although they weren't on the leaves.... yet.

A gentle shake and they'll usually drop out -  we used to find them dropping from sweet peas in the vase onto the polished dining table every summer. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

polish? dining table? what?image

Ma's polished dining table Nut, not mine image

That's OK then Dove. I was worriedimage

Well the new roses are right next to the sweet peas, although the rate things are going, they won't be flowering till October, by which time the beetles will have completed their life cycle.  We don't mention the sweet peas here.  image