Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee Alert ! Your lotty needs lerts !

She who must, and myself, are seriously alarmed at the drastic drop of bees this year. We have a vigorous Spiraea growing in our front garden, which every year, has hundreds of bees and other insects, swarming all over it in an orgy of nectar gathering. This year, we sit out and see lots of blossom on the bush, but so few bees as to be negligible.  The news nowadays is, that bees are in serious trouble and in decline, but this is the first time we have noted it having such a worrying impact up here in Northumberland.

Are there any others out there who have noticed this dreadful drop off of the bee population in their part of the country ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Not many honey bees but plenty of tree bees and bumblies

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,824

To be honest I've seen more this year than last. 

My main gardening objective is to provide for beneficial insects and last year I had absolutely nothing flowering when the queens first emerged, poss due to young plants and the late spring.

Haven't seen many wasps since the early ones, but have various bees, mostly bumble types.

I'm in Houghton Le Spring, Tyne and Wear.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

We've also remarked on the increase in bees in our garden this year, lots of bumbles and solitary bees of all different sorts.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Just remembered, the insect 'hotel' I threw up casually early this year, is fully occupied. The nesting boxes for the birds are completely ignored, insufferable little ingrates those birds ! 

Bee swarming in Tynevale last w/e. So, they ARE around !

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Apparently there are some signs of improvement being noticed in bee-keeping circles this year, so don't panic guys.  A year by year drop in bee numbers can be very alarming, and we had one year when there were a large number of dead ones under the lavenders.  But this could be down to a number of factors.  The next door neighbours of the people whose hive swarmed to ours will have noticed a drop!  But it just means that the bees moved house.  image  We don't have many honey bees on our lavenders this summer (despite having two hives in the garden) but I suspect that is because some bumbles nested in our roof, so they are dominating.  The honey bees don't seem to like to get too near to them.  Best thing non-beekeepers can do is ensure that there is water available in their gardens in shallow trays/jar lids/bird baths - anything a bee can land on to drink from.  And support campaigns to ban the use of pesticides which kill bees, this one in particular is worrying because it seems the UK is considering using a pesticide which the rest of Europe has rejected for precisely that reason.  https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/david-cameron-uphold-the-european-ban#petition  

Yo !  and YO ! again, BB2. Have already signed the petition, and encourage everyone to do so !  Well  be up a gum tree without the blessed little critturs.

Just off oop t'lotty now, to check on the new swarm we have, c/o Alnwick Castle garden.

Very poor showing as far as the apples are concerned. Root fly has hit the cabbages. We need some voracious wasps to savage the pests.

Peace be with you all, and may your nadgers never wilt ! 

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 395

Best year for ages in Essex, I always grow everything that attracts them but this year has been exceptional.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I walked up through the park yesterday evening to the three enormous lime trees and could hear the bees from some distance. I stood under the trees and listened and watched for some time while hound dog searched for sticks to carry home.  Got some bumble and solitary bees in the garden but very few butterflies and hoverflies despite planting for their benefit.  I was at an Open Garden nearby on Sunday with vast amounts of suitable plants, saw one Meadow Brown and one Speckled Wood but they had bees there.