Forum home Garden design

Any plant ideas please...

Hi Everyone,

This is my first year gardening after buying our first house last September. I have some pots and hanging baskets, as well as a small bed in my front garden. These, I think are looking ok.

In our back garden is a raised bed, which did contain a lot of horrible bamboo stuff, I have finally managed to clear this and now not sure what to plant in it. Also how long should you leave it before planting after using roundup?

It isn't a very wide space, if you have any photos to share of plants I could use that would be a great help image

Thank you

Kelly

x

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,525

Kelly...........best bet would be to tell us a bit more about you space......orientation would be a good start.......what sort of plants do you like...........high or low maintenance........children.........all helps to make a picture and then I am sure you will get plenty of help and adviceimage

• KelcowKelcow Posts: 7

Hello,

Thank you, fairly low maintenance would be good as not too much time, but I can water, ,deadhead etc in the evenings. I think it's south facing but not 100% sure, it's sunny until mid/late afternoon. I like quite a lot of different plants, would love to attract bees and butterflies. I currently have geraniums, cosmos, lilies, fuchsias, mini petunias. I like wild/cottage style mostly I think, but where I don't really know what I'm doing I just go for things that look pretty image  I'm just not sure what would work in the narrow/small space.

Kelly

Ah thank you, I will get onto google image, It's sunny most of the day x

• KirstyB2KirstyB2 Posts: 42

Is it not deep enough for honeysuckle? I think a bit of ignorance goes a long way, I've never known where I'm not supposed to plant it and it seems to grow usually.

Without measuring it's about 2ft deep I should think, I've just been going with a trial and error method this year image These are some of my other flowers, including the wild flower seeds from Country file. Already planning what I'm going to do for my hanging baskets next year image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, does the concrete go under the beds? Are you interested in having anything to look at in winter? You can get away with things like honeysuckle, but because the bed is narrow and shallow, the chances of plants becoming stressed and looking ropy are high.

Go on to crocus website, is really good as you can select the growing conditions, it will then give you a list of plants which should thrive, its then up to you where you want to buy them fromimage

It looks like medeterainian ( spelling is awful!) Plants and herbs, will be your best bet, creeping rosemary is lovely at the edge of a bed, i can reccomend horned violet, you would also get valerian to grow there really well, as if it gets too much food and water, it becomes a bully! Insects love valerian image

Good luck
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Pics are so pretty, dont think you will have any trouble at all! Why not plant the back garden like the baskets etc, that will give you more time to choose your permenent plants image

Thank you Bekkie. The concrete does go under the bed. That's a good idea, at least there will be something there until I decide what to do, I'm going to give winter plants a go this year I think image

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 590
    KirstyB2 wrote (see)

Is it not deep enough for honeysuckle? I think a bit of ignorance goes a long way, I've never known where I'm not supposed to plant it and it seems to grow usually

Hi Kelcow:

Whilst honeysuckle would almost certainly grow there it is extremely vigorous and may become too invasive - like the bamboo you've only just got rid of. image Sorry, but I had that problem when it came to rebuilding a wall on existing foundations - the root systems of a beautiful old honeysuckle had become very strongly developed in spite of the inhospitable site (contained by foundations below and paving above) and had to be destroyed with a very powerful root killer. I would explore this forum for further ideas, like those already on this thread. image