breeze block wall

Hello, I have a large breeze block wall at the end of my garden. Any ideas on how to cover it??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,077

Hi jen image

Which way does it face and what's the soil like?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You can render it and paint it a pretty colour, then put up a trellis and grow climbers

• jen brownjen brown Posts: 5

Its south facing. Was thinking about painting it. What paint would I use?

This is the sort of stuff I'd use https://www.dulux.co.uk/products/weathershield-smooth-masonry-paint/ 

Of course, other brands are available - but basically it's the sort of stuff you paint the outside of your house with - you can get it from Jewsons/B&Q/Homebase etc.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Just about to move into a house with the same problem - south facing too I guess. I was planning on putting some trellis or wires up and having some climbers cover it. any suggestions on what would be well suited? pretty sunny - soil atm is incredibly dense and clay. many thanks! 

I'm growing Campsis radicans on wires on a south facing fence - it seems very happy there so far - details here http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2993/Campsis-radicans/Details 

I'd dig lots and lots of well rotted farmyard manure into the clay first - that will really improve it image

• jen brownjen brown Posts: 5

Thanks. What about a creeper type plant that would self hold to the wall??

Hydrangea petiolaris clings to the wall, but it would be very unhappy on a south facing wall - it likes it more or less full shade.  It wouldn't grow well there. 

Most of the climbers other than hydrangea pet. or one of the ivies need wires or trellis to cling to. 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,189

Sorry to jump in..........Dove.............does your Campsis overwinter without any protection ?

I hope so Philippa - it's only been there a few months - the nurseryman thought it would be fine - it's a very sheltered corner on the south facing terrace next to the fig tree.  I'll bubblewrap the pot for the winter as I do for the fig, and have fleece available for very cold snaps but I won't wrap it unless the forecast is dire. 

Fingers crossed.