Forum home Talkback

BARNSDALE GARDEN TRIP.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,573

BARNSDALE REPORT

We arrived at 12 ish (allowing for random tractors) and as a busload of 80  was due in, we sampled the delights of the cafe first. .  Most ate salads, but I had a good chunk of coffee and walnut cake to fortify me for the walk around the gardens.

A random group of people wandering around the gardens.

The gardens are now mature, time has passed since Geoff Hamilton constructed them, with trees  casting more shade than they would originally.  It could have been very bitty, with a series of gardens, but one seemed to flow into another, almost like the rooms at Hidcote. Some had obvious delineations, other parts like the shady walk, just merged one into another.  We had the benefit of glorious sunshine, and shade was often needed.  The  bus trip didn't overwhelm the garden, there is plenty of seating dotted around for those that needed it.

After two hours wandering around, we had to sample the delight of Belvoir cold drinks from the fridge, and Roskilly ice cream from the freezer..... and then venture forth again.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Wow Fidget image image image That looks an amazing place, and fab pics (sure there are more to come!)

Looking up, there is a mature tulip tree (Liriodendron) in full flower above the Versailles walk.

We marvelled at the eight foot tall delphiniums. Despite only using organic iron based slug pellets, they were untouched by slugs, and various colours were looking magnificent dotted around the gardens.

While there were many pleasing plant combinations around the gardens, this is one we didn't like. The Heuchera clashed horribly with the penstemon and geranium.

Mixed nigella and calendula in the potager garden.

The mediterranean or dry garden. No water is used in this garden

There were a number of white barked silver birches, forming the shady walk. Underplantings of hellebore and pulmonaria  would  be a highlight in Spring, but in high summer gave us some respite from the heat.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I knew it! image Again great shots and story telling. I agree with your thoughts on the Heuchera/penstemon/geranium planting image 

Of course, being June, there are many roses in flower, pink perpetue, filipes 'kiftsgate", Constance Spry, and of course, Geoff Hamilton,  a pink scented modern rose from David Austin.

Busy bee was very taken with the fruity scented "Lady Emma Hamilton"

The cottage garden

A new garden,  Lands End, based on a seaside garden. The gardens are not stagnating in time, new additions are being made.

We  had a look around the nursery are, succumbing to some of the many plants on offer. There is a large amount of day lilies (Hemerocallis) in the nursery, but we were a bit early in the season to see them in full bloom.

We left at around 4.30 pm, having had a very enjoyable afternoon.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 13,841

WOW!!!!  fantastic flowers. Thank you fidget for sharing your beautiful pics. What a wonderful time you all must have had. Thank you for the 'story' too image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Nice pics fidget

I enjoyed going round againimage

But still waiting for another icecreamimage

• Fantastic pics (as always) fidget........and I'm pleased you all had a nice day.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,919

Fidget...........Thanks so much for sharing the Barnsdale Day with the rest of us.......everywhere looked stunning.

I remember when GH first started Barnsdale for Gardeners World.......I was an avid follower of the programme in those days...........so it was lovely to see how they have evolved and to know Barnsdale is in such good hands.

So thanks again and glad you all had such a good timeimage

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Glad you all had such a lovely time.  The photos are great and I especially like the delphiniums and the cottage gardenimage  That reminds me - I must nip out for some ice creamimage