Forum home Garden design

Ideas to assist an amatuer gardner

Hi all we live in south Manchester me and my wife are looking for some help and advice, for our garden which needs a face lift and make it more useable during the summer. We would like to make use of the good garden space we have, so can have tea and barbecue on nice sunny day and spend time outside in the garden with the family. Thanks to my father-in-law has spent a lot of time cleaning and tidying up the garden in the last few months.

I'll upload some pictures of what we have right now, but basically it is a rectangular suburban garden with beds - we'd really like to repair the lawn, and maybe extend it into the beds, or make the beds very easy to maintain - we don't garden much now but are very interested in learning from you all!

We have a small child who I'd like to be able to play safely, and we'd like to have a very easy to maintain lawn and a new small patio area to put a table and chairs on. We would like to walk from our conservatory into the garden.

If possible, it'd be good to have someone help me do the hard labour, and leave in a state to be able to maintain it or do the upkeep.  Does anyone have any details of a trusted Gardener in the South Manchester area?  We're really struggling to find someone to turn up and give us a good quote!

• You say South Manchester do you live anywhere near Sale?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

Hi, to upload pictures on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GabeckGabeck Posts: 5

Garden Angel wrote (see)

You say South Manchester do you live anywhere near Sale?

Yes, do you have someone you can recommend or have a website please?

Hi all I am looking for some help and recommendation please. Thank you image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

I'm not in your area I'm afraid, but you could try asking at your local nursery or garden centre - they may know of reputable people who would give you a quote. 

Or try asking at the nearest college to you that does horticultural courses - some of their recent college leavers may have started up their own businesses.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove wrote (see)

I'm not in your area I'm afraid, but you could try asking at your local nursery or garden centre - they may know of reputable people who would give you a quote. 

Or try asking at the nearest college to you that does horticultural courses - some of their recent college leavers may have started up their own businesses.

Good luck image

Thanks for your advise image